The dead of winter is a big time for great ideas around here at Snead’s Farm, and we think we’ve got one you’re going to love.
For the 2015 CSA season, Snead’s Farm will offer a choice of one of two pickup locations:
- Pick up your box at Snead’s Farm on Wednesdays from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m., same as always -or-
- Pick up your box at Braehead Farm in the city of Fredericksburg (get directions here) on Mondays from 10 a.m. until 6 p.m. We will add a surcharge of $2 per box for this location (See below for instructions on how to select and submit payment.).
*Because of the size and volume of the fall pickup box, this pickup will take place Wednesday, Oct. 7, for ALL CSA members.
In order to make sure both pickup locations get the same number of weekly boxes, we have added an extra week to the CSA calendar! That means Monday pickups will run from May 4 through Aug. 31, and Wednesday pickups will run May 6 through Sept. 2! That’s a whole extra week of summer produce for the same price.
Here’s how this works:
- If you want to pick up at Snead’s Farm and you have already signed up for the CSA, you don’t need to do anything. You’ll be on the list.
- If you have already signed up and you want to pick up at Braehead, send a check for $36 (the surcharge for all 18 deliveries) to Emmett Snead, 18294 Tidewater Trail, Fredericksburg VA 22408. Please include the primary name on the CSA account on your check so we can put you on the right pickup list. We would like to receive checks and requests by Friday, May 1.
- If you haven’t signed up for the 2015 CSA, what are you waiting for? Download the contract here. If you want to pick up at Snead’s Farm, the price is $800, and if you want Braehead, it’s $836. We’ll know which pickup you want by the amount on your check, but feel free to write it on the contract as a friendly reminder.
Here are a few things you may be wondering about:
- Pick-your-own opportunities, an optional bonus add-on to your CSA share, will remain at Snead’s Farm only, unless otherwise specified. But no matter where you’re picking up your box, all CSA members can come to Snead’s Farm when pick-your-own opportunities are indicated as part of that week’s box. The days and hours for picking will be specified with each week’s CSA list e-mail, but these typically happen on Wednesdays and Sundays.
- We will strive to make sure that boxes are as similar in size, value and content as possible. But keep in mind that this is VERY FRESH produce. We are not going to pick something for the Monday distribution and let it sit around until Wednesday. Just like with everything in the CSA, what goes in the box depends on what is growing in the fields. At the end of the year, it is our hope that both pickup locations will have recouped similar value for their investment, and that that value will be far more than what they put in at the beginning of the season.
- If you would like to stay and play at Braehead Farm’s barn-lot playgrounds, you will need to pay the $5 per person admission (ages 2 and under are free), or you may purchase a season pass for $20 per person, or $100 for a family of five or more. This play lot includes sand piles, hay barns with steer heads to rope, a corn pit, swings and slides, barnyard animals and much more. Learn more here.
We are excited about this new development and hope it will add to your family’s CSA experience. We at Snead’s Farm are thankful for each and every one of our CSA members. We can’t wait to see you in May!